Intention of the post is to help others who might have a similar condition when migrating their legacy workload running on Windows 2003.
- We migrated few Windows Server from Datacenter to Cloud using a third party tool.
- Most of the servers were Windows 2008 r2 and above.
- To test our perseverance, we had to migrate a legacy web server running on Windows 2003.
- Source and Destination were in a different Active Domain with a Trust established.
- As per the process, we removed the server from source domain and renamed the server with that of target naming convention.
- Not to mention that the server was rebooted whenever prompted.(i.e Domain removal and Hostname change).
- We added the server to the target domain and rebooted the server.
- Server was back online but with a message when trying to login with domain credential.
Please wait while the domain list is created.
- We showed our patience for 15 mins with no luck.
- However, We took an another RDP window and logged in using local admin account.
- We checked out all the other possibilities including the computer account across all domain controllers, DNS forward record and Reverse record.
- All seems to be fine giving us no hope until we found a Netlogon error message in system log.
“Failed to create/open file \system32\config\netlogon.ftl with the following error: Access is denied.”
- After trying to read various articles, most of them were irrelevant and could not provide resolution.
- However, we could find a resolution when we followed the below procedure.
- This error occurs when the hidden attribute is set on “%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\netlogon.ftl.”
- The resolution is removing this hidden attribute by typing the following command at the command prompt:
attrib -h %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\netlogon.ftl